GreyGhostGames

Situation: There are 14 competing standards

Situation: There are 14 competing standards

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

There's a good reason why Fudge is ideal for anyone who likes to adapt material from other games: the ladder, core to the game, is an excellent means of creating a consistent standard from one system to another. It even occasionally gets used that way, as in The Knuckleduster Firearms Shop.

We often bemoan the lack of new games using Fudge and wonder what can be done to encourage them, but is there a case for pushing the core of Fudge as a baseline for universal RPG supplements to include, rather than having each try to use their own version of a scale for adapting to different mechanics? and is there a good, feasible way to get publishers to adopt it?

By making Fudge a familiar part of products designed to be adapted to whatever system the buyer prefers we'd be spreading the acceptance and knowledge of the game itself, potentially making people curious to have a look at the whole thing as an RPG they might want to play. Easier said than done, perhaps, but I do wonder if it could be a successful strategy.

‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone.
A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’

- Samuel Johnson

BigJackBrass
Two Separate Gorillas
useravatar
102 Posts
Website 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Situation: There are 14 competing standards

This made me chuckle, not only the RPG related point you just made, but from the computer point of view. I'm in networking and I deal with standards all day. current/smile

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.
There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
dcshuman
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Latest Posts

I'm glad it's useful
Looks very clear on my 'phone. Thanks for...
Hi, I took some time to reformat the Fudge SRD...

Dice Roller

Settings...
Color: 
Number: 
Done

Member Login