GreyGhostGames

What did you think of the Core Rule book?

What did you think of the Core Rule book?

With the Blood In Space: Core Rule-book out, I wanted to open up a discussion thread for people to ask questions, make comments, suggestions, or what they did/did not like about the system. I love this universe and I a lot I was originally intending to put in the Core Rule-book is going to be featured in an expansion. If there are things that jump out that people want to mention, I want to make sure that they are noted and brought across to the sequel.

So, I look forward to all your opinions.

Thanks!

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: What did you think of the Core Rule book?

I'm reading through it now, so can't comment on the book as a whole, but so far it's a good read, very promising.

One thing I have noticed is an oddity in the skill list. The provided skills are generally fairly broad and the list quite streamlined, with the exception of Use and Disable device. I can understand the requirement to choose between Computer, Mechanical and Electrical, but separating Use and Disable seems odd. In the context of a game, does the distinction between being able to use something and disable it make sense? It strikes me as a bit peculiar and almost certain to lead to players arguing that they know how something works so they ought to be able to stop it from working. Likewise, Knowledge: Engineering covers repairs, but being able to fix something does not enable the PC to break it.

Obviously, individual GMs can choose to alter this, but I was wondering about the thinking behind it, since clearly it works for you and your playtesters.

Edited by: BigJackBrass - Dec-17-16 17:28:23

‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone.
A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’

- Samuel Johnson

BigJackBrass
Two Separate Gorillas
useravatar
102 Posts
Website 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Hey there thanks for the question! The reason for this oddity is to try to allow more choice for the GM to decide what they want to do with the certain skill sets. For example, Use Computer and Disable computer are different because knowing how to use something doesn't mean you know how to disable it.

Scientists know how to use their forensic equipment but that doesn't mean they know how to go in and disable the equipment in a way to get a certain result. Another is I know quite a lot about my car and how it works for everday use but that also doesn't mean i know how to fix what's broken in it.  This is the distinction that I wanted to create with these skills.

Does that make sense?

It does, but more on a "real world" rather than game level. Personal preference more than any real problem, I think; it simply seemed a level of detail and distinction slightly at odds with the generally broad nature of the other skills.

Hoping to get through the rest of the book over Christmas. Thanks for putting out something new and interesting in Fudge. It's been a bit quiet in recent years.

‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone.
A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’

- Samuel Johnson

BigJackBrass
Two Separate Gorillas
useravatar
102 Posts
Website 

BigJackBrass,

You hit on the best thing about the Fudge system. current/smile You can easily use any skill the way you want as even the BiS: Core Rule book is only a guide. GMs are still free to use the character sheets and skills the way they choose.

I appreciate you bringing this up! I do appreciate it.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
dcshuman
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Latest Posts

I'm glad it's useful
Looks very clear on my 'phone. Thanks for...
Hi, I took some time to reformat the Fudge SRD...

Dice Roller

Settings...
Color: 
Number: 
Done

Member Login