GreyGhostGames

How do YOU handle traps?

How do YOU handle traps?

Oh, the ways to try and kill your players! As a conversation starter, how do you handle traps when it comes to your campaigns and adventures?

I wrote up the rules on how I like to handle them called Fudge Traps! and it's just waiting approval in the repository.

So, when you are laying traps. How do you go about action resolution?

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: How do YOU handle traps?

So now that the Fudge Traps! PDF is up in the Fudge Files, I have a question: Was there a design reason behind having Trap Size be a number between 1 and 7 vs just using Scale, since a Size 4 Trap is Scale 0 (relative to Humans) and a Size 3 Trap is Scale -1 and Size 5 Trap is Scale +1 and so on. Just curious.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Yes,

The idea was to give a different type of display much like Jonathan Benn's Fudge Vehicles in the 10th Anniversary Edition of the Fudge RPG rule book. In his section (Page 221), he rates the object and their respective speeds based on a -3 to 49 scale. To help make the traps sizes stand out from the + and - of the ODF and DDF stats, I went with the same idea. current/smile

So in short, to help differentiate from all the pluses and minuses.

JonathanS223 wrote:

So in short, to help differentiate from all the pluses and minuses.

Now that is a good reason for that design choice!

I expect that using Word values like "(1) Tiny, (2) Extra Small, (3) Small, (4) Medium, (5) Large, (6) Extra Large, (7) Huge" runs into the same problems of confusion with the trait ladder names.

I also wanted to mention I really like the term "payload" for the effect of the trap. It is such an obvious and good fit and in all the traps I have made varying degrees of detailed stats for I never considered using the term payload and now it will be my standard from this point forward.

This is pretty snazzy, and I'm usually not one for traps at all. It's a convenient format, and as Paul said "payload" is an excellent term for traps.

The [-] die.

Knaight wrote:

This is pretty snazzy, and I'm usually not one for traps at all. It's a convenient format, and as Paul said "payload" is an excellent term for traps.

Glad you liked it. I know that I prefer traps especially when it comes to some of the fantasy adventures I run but I didn't want to create rules that felt to much like another system.

There is 1 guest and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
dcshuman
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Latest Posts

I'm glad it's useful
Looks very clear on my 'phone. Thanks for...
Hi, I took some time to reformat the Fudge SRD...

Dice Roller

Settings...
Color: 
Number: 
Done

Member Login